The laptop for workdays, work nights, & weekends
- Lightweight portability and heavyweight performance
- Redesigned narrower bezel yields a sleek and modern design
- An amazing array of screen options, including WQHD with Dolby Vision®
- Enhanced security and privacy features
- Up to 20 hours of battery life, and an aluminum cover for the Silver option
- Just might just be our best T-Series business laptop ever
- Starting at:
The laptop for workdays, work nights, & weekends
Dazzle yourself & others
Choose the low-power FHD display option for ultimate battery life on your ThinkPad T490s, or go with the FHD touchscreen for an even more productive workday. For refined details, increased brightness, and amazingly accurate colors, dramatic Dolby Vision® high dynamic range (HDR) technology is available on the WQHD panel option. No matter which display you choose, the ThinkPad T490s is framed by a new narrower bezel design for a sleeker design and more productive workday.
Acts on your command
With Cortana Premium, you can speak commands to your ThinkPad T490s from across the room. The integrated far-field microphones ensure your voice carries its weight. Quickly and easily find files on your PC. Or call up your calendar to determine your schedule for the day or week. Speak your mind and boost your productivity at the same time.
Tested for battle, built for life
Like all ThinkPad laptops, the ThinkPad T490s is tested against 12 military-grade requirements and more than 200 quality checks to ensure it runs in extreme conditions. From the Arctic wilderness to desert dust storms, from zero gravity to spills and drops, you can trust this laptop to handle whatever life throws your way.
Go from 0 to 80 in 60
The ThinkPad T490s delivers up to 20 hours* of battery life with the low-power FHD display. If you’re running on empty, Rapid Charge provides an 80% charge in just an hour. So, a 60 minute lunch break or a layover is enough to boost your battery up to 16 hours. What more could you need for life on-the-go?
*Based on testing with MobileMark 2014 on the low-power FHD display panel. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, and other factors. Note that Rapid Charge requires the 65W power adapter.
What happens on your PC stays on your PC
Unless you decide to share it. The ThinkPad T490s offers an FHD panel with PrivacyGuard — an exclusive technology that keeps unwanted viewers from seeing what’s on your screen. ThinkShutter, a physical cover that ensures your camera is on only when you want it to be, is now available on all camera options. You can also add options like an infrared (IR) camera and touch fingerprint reader for biometric login.
Whether you’re out in the world or working at your desk, the ThinkPad T490s keeps you connected. The optional LTE-A card keeps you up and running worldwide*. While the ThinkPad Pro Dock (sold separately), a USB-C side mechanical docking station easily connects with two male Type-C ports that snap into and automatically level your device. Once docked, your ThinkPad stays securely in place and connects to all of your peripherals such as monitors, keyboards, and mice.
*WWAN must be configured at time of purchase, as it’s not upgradeable.Show MoreLess
Ratings & Reviews
Ratings & ReviewsCustomer Reviews for ThinkPad T490s
Description Specifications Processor?The processor runs the operating system and all applications. The faster the processor, the faster your programs run, but battery life can be affected.
- Up to 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8365U with vPro™ (1.60GHz, up to 4.10GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 6MB Cache)
- Up to 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8665U with vPro™ (1.90GHz, up to 4.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8MB Cache)
- Windows 10 Home
- Windows 10 Pro – Lenovo recommends Windows 10 Pro
Display?The display is the screen. Higher resolutions displays allow you to fit more content on the screen at once. IPS displays offer better colour and wider viewing angles.
- 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) 250 nits IPS anti-glare
- 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) 300 nits IPS anti-glare multi-touch
- 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) 400 nits IPS Low-power
- 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) 400 nits IPS with PrivacyGuard
Memory?Memory, aka RAM, is used to store data temporarily as you are actively working on your laptop. It is not where your data is permanently stored. More memory can help your system run faster, especially if you have a lot of programs open at the same time.Up to 32 GB DDR4 2400 MHz (Onboard) Battery
* Based on testing with MobileMark 2014. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, and other factors.
- Up to 20 hours* 57Wh,
- Rapid Charge technology available with 65W AC
Storage?Storage is where data, like documents and applications, resides permanently on your computer. Not to be confused with memory, which is only active when the computer is in use. Larger files like media files will need larger storage. Up to 1 TB PCIe SSD GraphicsIntegrated Intel® UHD 620 graphics Audio
- Dolby Audio™ Premium
- Dual far-field microphones
Dimensions (W x D x H)
- Black: WQHD & low-power FHD: 12.94” x 8.85” x 0.63” / 329 x 225.8 x 16.1 (mm)
- Black: FHD, FHD Touchscreen, & FHD PrivacyGuard: 12.95” x 8.90” x 0.63” / 328.8 x 226.15 x 16.7 (mm)
- Silver: All panels: 12.96” x 8.90” x 0.67” / 329.15 x 226.45 x 17.2 (mm)
- Black: FHD Touchscreen 2.98 lbs (1.35 kg)
- Black: FHD non-touch, low-power, PrivacyGuard, & WQHD 2.81 lbs (1.27 kg)
- Silver: 3.29 lbs (1.49 kg)
- HD 720p with ThinkShutter privacy cover
- Optional: Hybrid Infrared (IR) with ThinkShutter
- Spill resistant
- Bottom-load backlight with white LED lighting (Optional)
Connectivity?Wireless comes down to B, G, N or AC. The basics are B and G, G being faster than B with more range. AC is the fastest, but N has the furthest range and more frequency options.
- WWAN: Fibocom L850-GL 4G LTE-A Cat9 (Optional)
- WLAN: Intel® Dual-Band 9560 802.11 AC (2 x 2)
- Bluetooth® 5.0
- Bluetooth® 5.0 with vPro™
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1** (one Always On)
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1** Type-C (Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Data transfer)
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2** Type-C / Intel Thunderbolt 3 (Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Data transfer)
- Combo MicroSD card reader / Micro-Sim slot
- Smart card reader (Optional)
- Headphone / mic combo
- HDMI 1.4
- RJ45 Gigabit via Ethernet Extension Adapter (Optional)
- Fast Online Identity (FIDO) authentication capabilities
- dTPM 2.0
- Optional: Match-on-Chip touch fingerprint reader
- Optional: PrivacyGuard
- Optional: PrivacyAlert (requires PrivacyGuard)
- Kensington lock slot
Docking stations sold separately.
- ThinkPad Thunderbolt Dock Gen 2
- ThinkPad Basic/Pro/Ultra Dock
What’s in the box
Specifications may vary depending upon region.
- ThinkPad T490s
- 65W AC Adapter (required for rapid charging)
- Quick Start Guide
- 3 Cell 57Whr Li-Ion internal battery
** The actual transfer speed of the USB 3.1 [Gen 2] will vary and, depending on many factors, such as the processing capability of host and peripheral devices, file attributes and other factors related to system configuration and your operating environments, will be slower than a speed of [10 Gbit/s]
- 1. USB-C AC Power
- 2. USB-C Thunderbolt 3
- 3. Ethernet extension
- 4. USB 3.1 (Gen 1)
- 5. HDMI 1.4
- 6. Headphone / mic combo
- 7. Smart card reader (optional)
- 8. USB 3.1 (Gen 1) powered
- 9. Kensington lock slot
- 10. MicroSD / Micro-SIM combo
ThinkPad T490sTop Accessories
WE'RE SORRY, BUT THERE ARE NO ACCESSORIES AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.
BUILD YOUR OWN
Lenovo offers a comprehensive portfolio of services to support and protect your ThinkPad investment—so you can focus on your business, not your IT.
Bypass phone menus and scripted troubleshooting to access advanced-level technicians with the expertise needed to quickly diagnose and solve problems.
Accidental Damage Protection (ADP)
Protect your investment from operational or structural damage caused by common accidents like drops, spills, or electrical surges. This fixed-cost, fixed-term protection plan minimizes unexpected repairs for predictable budgeting and provides significant savings relative to the cost of non-covered repairs.
Get a fixed-term, fixed-price service solution to match the lifecycle of your device and fit within your budget. Choose from a range of solutions, including next business day on-site, 9x5x4, and 24x7 response time windows. Purchasing an extension at the time of a system purchase saves 15-30% over the price of purchasing it post-warranty.