Chromebook for Kids
When choosing a Chromebook for kids, there are multiple factors to keep in mind. For many people, the most important factor when determining which is the best Chromebook for kids is finding one that is affordable and fits the way you plan to use it. A kid-friendly design and ease of use typically make the Chromebook a good overall option over other types of laptops and other operating systems. Yet, there are a large number of options to consider, and getting it right is essential.
Is a Chromebook for Student Use the Best Option?
One of the first things many people ask is whether or not a Chromebook for student use is ideal. There are a few reasons why this particular type of laptop may be a good option for most students. It has a simple interface, making it easy for most children to learn how to use it. However, there is much more to it than that. The best Chromebook for students can be fully functional and create the ideal computing experience for your child.
That's not to say that all are the same, though. It is important to get an idea of your options and what type of Chromebook may be a good fit for your needs. As you look at your options, you will want to keep your budget in mind.
What is a Chromebook?
As you consider a student Chromebook and whether it is a good choice for your child, there are a few things to know about this particular computing option. A Chromebook is a laptop that works on the Chrome web browser. It is the same type of browser that you may be using now to access the internet. Chrome is also used in various smartphones and tablets. In short, it is a simple and direct portal to the internet.
What's more, there is nothing to install with a Chromebook, unlike other computer systems. Rather, all the student has to do is turn it on and launch a browser window, and they have access to what they need.
It is possible to install apps onto a Chromebook. However, the process is different from downloading software on a PC or a traditional Windows-based laptop. It is much more like what you would do if you were to install an app on a smartphone. It is just about going to the Chrome Web Store and downloading what you need (you can also use the Google Play Store for this).
One of the nice things about the Chromebook is that it was designed, in part, to meet the needs of students. As a result, there are a lot of kid-friendly apps out there for Chromebook use. These are not just apps for games either. Rather, there are some that help with podcasting, drawing, note-taking, and much more. It also provides a functional way to complete schoolwork.
There are a number of reasons why this is the ideal choice for many students. First, because it has such a simple design, there are fewer Chromebook problems than traditional laptops. There are also fewer security risks, so you can feel more confident when using these for your child's education.
Chromebook for students is also beneficial because it is easy to manage over time. There is no need to add a complicated antivirus program to it. There are also no drivers that need to be updated, and there are no other computing tasks that need to be taken care of during this process. As long as there is an internet connection, the system is ready to go. Chrome will update and keep itself secured.
Are There Drawbacks to Chromebooks?
There are a lot of benefits to these systems. Yet, there are some disadvantages to consider as well. Even the best student Chromebook has a few things that may be limited to some users.
For example, there are some compatibility issues for some systems. You may have issues with streaming during a flight, or you may have issues with some systems that use Android devices. These systems have the less overall flexibility to meet some needs. This, typically, does not cause a problem for students who are using these for school or day-to-day use, though. Still, if you have specific needs, it helps to have some insight into whether a Chromebook will fit all of your needs.
How to Find the Best Chromebook for Student Use
As you consider which the best Chromebook for student use is, it helps to understand how your student will use the laptop. For example, are they likely to use it for day-to-day use at school, such as video use, accessing data online, and communication? If there are any specific programs for them to use, which is common in older students, purchasing a Chromebook that offers more functionality may be necessary. One example of this is a Chromebook for college students. If the student is taking courses that require a great deal of processing power and storage, this may not be the right option for you. Yet, for most users, this is not going to be the case.
Key features to look for in the Chromebook for students
As you start the process of finding a Chromebook that works for your needs, it helps to consider a few of the important features that they offer and how well those fit into what your student needs.
One of the first things to know is that most people looking for the best Chromebook for a student is not about focusing on the processing speed and power. Instead, it is about the physical features of the Chromebook that helps it to fit your student’s needs now and into the future.
Younger students typically benefit from a lot of features. That helps make it easier for them to do their work and use the system. For example, check out the best touchscreen Chromebook for kids. A touchscreen may provide your child with a better ability to use the system and maybe easier than trying to type. In addition to this, some may provide access to multiple cameras and digital pens. These additions may help make your child's laptop a better tool for any type of work they have to do, whether it is to create a picture or do math homework. Some schools (and at-home programs) are using augmented reality as a tool to help education. Others include drawing apps. These may require more features.
Also, consider things that may be basic. For example, a too-large system is going to make it hard for your young child to carry it. Factor in the weight and how they will need to carry their Chromebook back and forth to school. Of course, you can also look for a rugged Chromebook for kids that can handle rougher and tough conditions – and some of them offer Chromebook cases for students that can increase the overall protection of these devices.
More Features and Styles to Consider
As you check out the Chromebook for kids school, know that there is a wide range of options on the market. Some of the least expensive options are not widely available. These are, instead, sold to schools directly to provide to students. If you find one, you may get a quality product that is at a good price.
On the other hand, you may want to consider the best options in both tablet-style Chromebooks as well as those that are convertible, which means they can go from tablet to laptop with a flip of the screen. The top Chromebook for students is one that meets their functionality needs, which often means they need a physical keyboard instead of a tablet. Yet, some students may perform better when they have a smaller tablet to hold and manage than a larger laptop.
Another factor to consider when choosing a good Chromebook for students is the device's overall resolution. Having the ability to see well is a big step for most kids. The good news is there are a lot of options available from most providers. What is the best level of resolution for your child, then? It is best to avoid displays that have a resolution that is under full HD. That is usually nothing lower than 1920 by 1080 or 1080 p. These may cost a bit more, but their quality tends to help them stand apart. If your child will be using this Chromebook for hours each day, you want to be sure their eyes do not suffer from it.
Along the same lines, be sure to consider the size of the display. You do not want a display that is too big because that tends to increase the risk of drops and screen breakage, thanks to their weight. Most often, screens of 13 inches are considered average, though some may want something around 15 inches, especially for college students.
What about the CPU?
As you look at the student Chromebook deals out there, you may want to consider what CPU is best for your children. Here is a good rule to remember. Chromebooks have a simple design and limited software needs. As a result, they tend to need simple hardware to function. This is why you will save a significant amount of money buying a Chromebook instead of purchasing a Windows-based laptop most of the time.
Chromebooks do not have high-end graphics processors, and they do not typically need a lot of RAM. All of that helps to reduce the costs. When you think about the best Chromebook for high school students, you need to consider the type of work they will do. Are they really going to need a big CPU if they are just using things like Google Docs to write essays? Most of the time, the answer is no. The most intense use for these is usually streaming multimedia content. Streaming does mean that it is a good idea to buy a higher-end processor. If you believe you need that, you will find some Chromebooks that offer an Intel Core processor. Of course, these can be much more expensive, which makes them less beneficial overall to students, especially for younger students.
Tips for Buying Laptops for Your Child’s Age
How do you find the right options out there? Here are a few things to consider.
· Chromebook pros and cons for college students: Take a closer look at the Chromebook pros and cons for college students as a first step. College students typically are going to have the most demand for power and performance. That is especially the case if they are doing a lot of research, streaming, video production, and file editing. If they have larger software programs they need to use for their education, then a Chromebook needs to be fully advanced with ample processing power.
· What about high school students: Generally speaking, the best cheap Chromebook for students at the high school level is still going to be easy to use and manage. Your older teen may want to download tools like Photoshop and other video editing content. That may slow down the function of some Chromebooks. However, for those that just need a basic model for their day-to-day educational needs, a basic Chromebook is likely all they need to have available to them.
· What about middle school students: When it comes to finding a Chromebook for middle school students, along with those who are younger, focus heavily on the actual features of the device. Touchscreens, for example, tend to be an important investment. They may also benefit from those that are 2 in 1, which convert into a tablet for some programs they use or can sit up for better viewing of a lesson. It is good to ensure these have a more rugged design since they are the most likely to be dropped or beat up a bit when placed in their bag. A rugged version may help minimize the middle of the school year damage, but it could also help sustain the Chromebook for years of additional use.
What Else Should You Consider When Buying Chromebooks?
It is up to you to make the decision about the benefits of the best Chromebook for college students. Should you go with a Chromebook or laptop for college students, for example? The decision here often lies in the amount of storage and performance the student needs and the budget you have in mind. There is no doubt that a Chromebook will cost less, and that means that it is likely to provide a better option for those on a budget. Yet, the functionality of laptops and the graphics cards in them may help to extend the overall functionality of the system and end up being a better choice.
It is also wise to check with your child’s school or school district. It may be possible to find a Chromebook student discount that helps get a good price for these systems.
Here are some tips to help you make a decision:
● What is the battery life of the Chromebook? This may be something you do not think about right away, but it plays a big role in how well the system will work for your child in the classroom environment, where they cannot have the device plugged in all of the time. Look for those with 8 to 10 hours of battery life when possible.
● What is the weight of the Chromebook? There are some prestigious, high-end options out there that can be quite heavy. However, most users do not want a very heavy system, and that makes it harder for your child to carry it around for a day to day use.
● How good is the sound level? Good sound quality is an important factor for students who need to be actively engaged in their education online. Be sure to spend a bit of time comparing your options to determine which one is going to provide good sound, so you do not have to purchase speakers for it.
● How is the camera? Now that students are spending so much more time in video classroom settings, it is important that the device has a good camera. That can make a big difference in their overall experience, too.
Take a closer look at the inventory of Chromebooks we offer at Lenovo. You are sure to find a wide range of products in various price ranges to meet most needs. Look at the specs and check out the reviews to determine which one is the best choice for your needs.