The investment in a laptop can provide a business with the tools and resources it needs. In a home office, those needs may be a bit different than what would be present in a traditional business office space. That is why it is so important to compare a few different options to find the specific type of laptop with the right features to meet your individual needs. The best laptop for working from home needs to provide easy function, reliable connectivity, and outstanding speed to meet your demands.
Lenovo offers a range of options that can be the perfect choice for most work-at-home businesses. No matter what your needs are, we have the laptop you need to remain connected and working on your business.
Types of Home Computers
You know the features that are important to the way you work. For many businesses, the goal is to find a computer system that can cater to that lifestyle. To get started, consider a few basic considerations.
· Laptops: The best laptop for home office use is going to offer enough power to help you get through your list of things to do. You may wish to consider a laptop if you are looking for flexibility, such as the ability to work in different rooms of the home or even to step outside for some fresh air during your workday. Laptops are robust and can offer most of the features you need, along with the portability to take them with you on the go.
· Desktops: The best desktop computer for working from home could be a better bet for some people. If you plan to set up your office in one location and not change it over time, then a desktop can be a better option for a few reasons. They tend to be far more affordable for what you get. You can get a more robust system that is designed for any specific needs you have at a fraction of the cost.
· All in one: Another option in the best home office computer options is an all-in-one. It is somewhat like a mash-up between the two types, though it is significantly less portable than a laptop. An all-in-one model is going to provide you with more performance options at a moderate price compared to a laptop. The problem is that, even without the desktop tower, they are still more difficult to move from one area to the next.
Key Features to Look For
Once you know the specific style of a computer that is right for your needs, the next step is to consider the features that can help to keep you operating well. Good laptops for working from home should have robust features that are designed to meet your specific type of work. That is going to vary from one person to the next. Consider the following features that are typically quite important for most at-home businesses.
· Processors: At the heart of any home office laptop is the processor. That is the component that controls virtually all aspects of the computer’s function. The higher the processing power, the higher the cost. However, there are some situations where you need to have a more powerful processor. For example, if your business relies heavily on video editing or you need to use multiple types of software programs at one time, it is a good idea to choose a processor with more power.
You are sure to find a variety of options to select from, including both AMD and Intel processors for your home office computer. The more cores it has or, the newer the generation, the more powerful it is likely to be. Keep in mind that most good laptops for working at home need an Intel i3 or i5 setup rather than the power that typically comes from a gaming computer with an i9.
· RAM: Your home office computer needs to also have enough RAM or memory to help it to function well. Without enough RAM, it is unlikely that your laptop will perform properly even with a powerful processor. The amount of RAM you need is dependent on the number of tasks you need to perform at one time. The more you need to do at one time, the more important it is to have a higher level.
If you are looking for the best budget laptop for working from home, aim for 4 GB of Ram. That level can be enough for most types of processing of information, browsing the web, and handling tasks such as designing documents. However, you may want to increase this if you are doing things like programming, graphic design, video editing, or even computer gaming. In that case, you may need at least 8 GB.
If you purchase an expandable laptop or a computer that has extra space, you may be able to add to the Ram over time.
· Storage: Computers for working from home need ample storage to meet your needs. The amount of storage depends on the types of work you will do on your device. The amount of storage you select also depends on your budget. Most of the time, the least amount you may wish to have onboard for a basic laptop is 256 GB. Many businesses need more than this, with around 512 GB to 1 TB being beneficial. If you plan to use your laptop for streaming video or engaging in gaming, you will need a higher level of storage to do so.
· Size matters: The best laptop for working from home has to meet your needs for screen space. For many businesses, that means having ample size – 16 to 17 inches. That allows you to keep multiple screens open so you can easily work on projects. It is possible to purchase a home office laptop that has a 15-inch screen as well. This smaller size is ideal when you need to be able to take your laptop with you with ease.
If you decide to buy the best desktop computer for working from home, you can (and should) purchase a monitor for it that is larger so that you can tackle more tasks with ease. Some are 22 to 27 inches, though larger options are available and may help you to do more. You may also add a second monitor to these systems.
· Webcam and mic: In many cases, the best laptop for home office use is going to allow for proper communication in a way that works for your needs. If you need to do a lot of communicating over the internet, such as through video conferencing, you probably need a reliable and high-quality webcam. This can make it easy to look and feel professional even if you are working from your home office. A good quality mic is also important. The best home office computer can function well, but if it does not have a mic that can provide good overall communication, then it may not be worth your investment.
· Operating System: You do have some options when it comes to choosing an operating system. Choose one that you know well, and that can easily integrate into any other software or peripherals you already have. For most people, that means purchasing a Windows-based system. Windows 10 and Windows 11 are the most common option, but you can upgrade to pro versions if you want more performance and better overall communication. The best home office computer is one that can perform reliably, with ample security, and expand as you need it over time.
· Battery life: When you are sitting at your desk working, you can have your laptop pulled in and charged. That makes it super easy for you to not have to worry about the battery life at all. However, if you need to be able to take it with you as you go, you need a larger and longer-living battery. Even the best budget laptop for working from home should have a battery that lasts 6 or more hours. It should also charge quickly so you can get back out there to work.
As you look at the options for a home office computer, there are a few more things to keep in mind:
· Graphics: Though graphics are not always the most important thing for most business computers, if you use them for video editing, graphic design, or gaming, even for a small amount of time, then you may want a better graphics card.
· Warranty: Be sure to consider the warranty on your laptop. A long-term warranty may provide you with peace of mind when it comes to needing repairs.
· Ports: The amount and type of connectivity the system offers will also play a role in how well the system fits your needs. Look for those that have four or more ports to meet your needs.
· Touchscreen: Some business owners need a laptop that features a touchscreen. This type of engagement feature can come in handy when entering information into the system.
· 2 and 1 design: If you need to take your laptop with you to get work done in various areas of your home, or you need to do some design work, choosing a 2 in 1 that turns into a tablet can be beneficial to you.
The computers for working from home available from Lenovo are designed to be high performance. You will find a range of products to select from available at any given time. Take a few minutes to compare a few and read the reviews our customers have created that can give your insight into what to expect.
Lenovo is ready to offer you outstanding quality at competitive prices. Check out our inventory now.