Whether you’re a new programmer or someone who has been coding for years, you’re going to need at the very least a computer for coding. At Lenovo, we’re committed to helping our customers find a coding PC that fits all their needs– from features and components to design and style.
It can be difficult weeding through all of the different computers to find a PC for programming. Don’t worry though, because we’ve gone ahead and curated this list of our favorite PCs so you can easily find the best desktop computer for programming.
Shop today to find the best PC for coding and programming!
The perks of having the best desktop for programming from Lenovo
Although laptops are fine for coding and have the advantage of being portable, there’s no denying that serious developers and programmers prefer having a desktop for programming. Here are some of the benefits of picking a desktop for coding:
● More bang for your buck: When you compare the specs and the internal components, desktops are considerably cheaper than their notebook counterparts.
● They’re easier to upgrade: When it’s time to replace a part or upgrade to something more powerful, you can simply go out and buy the component you need versus buying an entirely new computer. For programmers, this is an invaluable feature that makes desktops the best PCs for coding.
● Better ergonomics: Coders spend hours writing, checking, and editing their code. With a desktop, you can ensure your posture and setup leave you comfortable. The best desktop setup for programming shouldn’t put any strain on your back or wrists when writing out code.
● Various models to pick from: Variety is the spice of life! That’s why we give you many options so you can find the right desktop computer for programming that not only does the job but lets you express yourself.
Regardless of what you’re specifically looking for, we have something for everybody– even a computer for developers. Let’s take a look at the models we have on offer that make good computers for coding.
Exploring Lenovo models for the best desktop for coding
We have a wide range of computers that make for a good PC for coding– from desktops, AIOs, and laptops, you’ll find something that fits the bill!
This entire page is dedicated exclusively to all the best coding PCs so that you’ll have an easier time picking the right one for you. Use this page to find the latest deals and offers on the best coding desktops.
Let’s take a closer look at our most popular models:
● ThinkStation: Powerful workstation PCs, the ThinkStation offers some of the best computer for software engineering because they come equipped with everything a programmer will need from top-of-the-line CPUs and GPUs and enough RAM to handle the most resource-heavy tasks, coding included. They also make good computers for engineering majors because they have enough power to run all CAD and architecture design software engineering will need to be successful. Also, they’re the best computer for game design as well.
● ThinkCentre: As one of our flagship PCs, ThinkCentre is a famous name in the business world. However, they also make the best desktop PC for programming since they have all the internal parts you’ll need. And if you’re a student, they are really good computers for computer science majors looking to have a PC that can take care of all their schooling needs. These also make the best desktop for web development.
● IdeaCentre: If you’re looking for different form factors from mini and nano boxes to fully-equipped towers and AIO desktops, then you’ve found another candidate for the best computer for software development. These are perfect because they fit nearly anyone’s budget and make the best computer for web development.
If you’re looking for something on the cheaper end, go with a tower or a mini. But if you need the power and price is second to that, then check out our AIO.
● Legion: Need the best computer for coding and gaming? Then look no further than our premium gaming line– Legion. While these PCs are developed and designed with gamers in mind, there’s a lot of overlap that makes them the best computer for programming and gaming too. So if you’re a gamer and a developer too– or thinking about learning to code– then the Legion is the best PC for coding and gaming.
● Yoga: Looking for something more “flexible,” then the Yoga AIO will be the best computer for computer programming for you. A powerhouse packed into a single monitor that has all the features and specs you’ll need for coding and more. With a large screen and robust features, it makes the Yoga AIO the best computer to code on.
You won’t have any trouble picking out the best PC for programming if you’re choosing something from this page!
What to look for when searching for a computer for programming
Sure, any PC can be used for coding. But if you want to do more than print ('Hello, world!'), then you’ll need to learn what makes good computer specs for programming. If you’re an experienced programmer then this will be redundant as you probably already know the key components and features to look for.
But if you’re new and looking for the best computer to learn coding, then this will be some of the most critical information you learn today. Here are some of the key components you need to consider when trying to evaluate the best desktop for programming:
● The CPU: The CPU, or the central processing unit, is responsible for handling the operations and providing instructions to the rest of your PC. So that makes it the most important piece of the hardware. It’s often called the “brain” of the computer because, without it, the computer would be useless. A coding computer setup relies heavily on how much computing power your CPU has, so make sure you have one with enough cores to handle the compiling of programs when you try to run and debug them.
There are two leading companies when it comes to CPUs: Intel and AMD. For PC programming, we recommend going with either the 8th generation (and above) Intel i7 processor or the AMD Ryzen series or higher.
● The GPU: The graphics processing unit (GPU) works similar to the CPU, except it deals only with rendering graphics and visuals on the PC. While it’s great for gaming and video editing, the CPU is more important for coding. Unless you want a programming PC build that makes it the best PC for programming and gaming, then you will do fine with a mid-range GPU and you can use the extra cash for a better CPU or more RAM.
● The RAM: RAM stands for “random access memory” and is where the PC holds temporary data and moves it in and out of the CPU as needed. The more RAM you have, the more simultaneous processes the CPU can handle. For any PC to be considered the best computer for coding, it’s going to need a ton of RAM. Depending on the complexity of your programs, you’ll get by with 16GB but we recommend trying to get something with around 32GB or more. If you have enough RAM, you won’t need to search for the best program to speed up PC.
● Storage Space: A desktop computer for coding will also need an SSD with enough storage to handle your programming. You don’t want anything to slow you down, and an SSD provides quick reading and writing from the drive. If you want to get more from your money, you can combine an HDD and SSD for the best of both worlds and have a decent programmer PC setup for you to use.
These are the most crucial parts of programming PC specs as far as hardware is concerned. Hopefully, it will make your journey of searching for the best desktop computer for coding a lot smoother.
Want to learn more about these or anything else PC-related? Then head over to our FAQ!
Computer programming basics for beginners
If you’re new to programming then this section is for you. Learn a little more about how to get started in coding.
● Pick an Operating System: The OS will be how you interact with the PC and do your coding. Most computer programmers prefer Windows. It’s an open-source OS and has a lot of features baked in that make it the top choice for developers. The best PC for coding will likely run a Linux distro.
● Pick a Language: There are a lot of languages to learn in computer programming. Simply put, the programming language is the set of rules and syntax you use to tell the computer what you want it to do. That’s how we get video games, applications, and the best PC programs and websites.
Shop Lenovo for the best PC for software development
Looking for the best PC for web development or the best computer for web development?
Then this page has exactly what you’re looking for! We have good computers for programming and good laptop for developers too. Let Lenovo take the stress out of trying to decide on the best coding PC build.
Remember, this page is dedicated to helping you find the best desktop computer for programming and create the best programmer computer setup.