At Lenovo, we see the safety and well-being of our workforce as integral to our long-term success. What helps us in this area is that, unlike other major technology companies, we conduct approximately 50% of our manufacturing in our own factories. This model enables us to better control our sustainability footprint, while bringing innovation to market more efficiently.
Our strategy, including performance and engagement programs, for ensuring a safe, healthy workplace is detailed below.
Manufacturing at Lenovo
All our manufacturing facilities are ISO 9001 (quality), ISO 14001 (environmental), and ISO 45001 (health and safety) certified. These standards form the foundation for the systems Lenovo uses to drive improvements at each Lenovo manufacturing facility to ensure a safe, health working environment for everyone. They cover many areas including:
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY (OHS)
Keeping our employees safe is everyone’s job.
Our corporate policy — Responsibility for Employee Health and Safety — is the foundation for ensuring a safe and healthy work environment for all of our people worldwide. Each employee and contractor is expected to follow the policy and report any health or safety concerns to management.
Lenovo’s proven Occupational Safety and Health Management System ensures detailed planning, hazard prevention, established controls, monitoring, and a commitment to continual improvement. All our global manufacturing locations are ISO 45001 certified by Bureau Veritas a leading independent certification body. In addition, all our China manufacturing locations have been certified to the nation’s Work Safety Standardization regulation.
Health and Safety Performance
Each year, Lenovo’s incident rates are amongst the lowest in the industry.
A key to our success has been standardizing the company’s occupational health and safety (OHS) organization and ongoing training. This action has effectively resulted in a significant improvement of OHS performance and manufacturing operational excellence.
Internal audits were also effectively implemented to identify opportunities and risks that could impact business activities from a safety, environmental and social responsibility perspective. These audits support Lenovo's third party certification to the ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 standards, and confirm compliance to other applicable requirements.
After each audit, our leadership is engaged at each site to develop and implement action plans to address audit findings. In addition, the RBA “Code of Conduct” has been implemented across our global manufacturing locations. We continue to perform rigorous occupational, health and safety self-assessments at all global manufacturing locations to validate and maintain a high level of compliance with regulatory and external management system requirements, and have begun annual external verification of our RBA compliance status.
Communication and Employee Engagement
Our Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) begins with training. We ensure all our employees receive health and safety training plus detailed, site-specific safety information.
All manufacturing personnel engage in an annual safety awareness training that is compliant with local governmental regulations. At our field locations, employees receive health and safety tips, information on emergency response, detailed work safety requirements, hazards/risks and corresponding precautionary measures. We welcome our contractors and partners to participate in field location training programs.
We have Safety Committees, where employees can meet regularly and discuss a range of health and safety topics. We also routinely conduct employee engagement campaigns, such as Safety Awareness Month and a Safety Suggestion Program, as well as other health, safety and wellbeing events.
Our most important asset is our employees. To promote disease prevention and wellness matters, we make information and health resources easily available to employees. A few examples include medical screenings; immunization clinics; eye, ear and dental examinations; healthy diet and nutrition recommendations; and exercise and smoking cessation programs.
In addition, our Business Continuity Plans support comprehensive procedures to limit the potential impact of emerging health or safety-related epidemics.
Recognition and Awards
Our performance and commitment to Occupational Health & Safety is widely recognized at our field locations. In 2019/20, we received the following accolades:
- In February 2019, Lenovo’s GSC Pondicherry manufacturing team in India was recognized with two National Awards:
- The “Best In Class — Manufacturing ICON Award” was presented to Lenovo for demonstrating the iconic pillars of India manufacturing, which include Best Practices, IT Automations, CX Drive, Innovative Culture and Production, Quality, Cost, Delivery, Safety, and Morale performance.
- Lenovo was also awarded “Best In Class — Enterprise Quality Management Award” for demonstrating outstanding quality management performance in supplier, process, product quality, field, systems and employee commitments.
- In May 2019, the Lenovo Monterrey, Mexico, plant received the ‘RBA Platinum Recognition’ and ‘Factory of Choice’ Award.
- In July 2019, the Lenovo Shenzhen, China, plant received the ‘RBA Silver Recognition’.
- In July 2019, Lenovo’s Global Supply Chain organization was awarded the ‘National Green Supply Chain’ from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of China — a prestigious recognition for a green supply chain enterprise which demonstrates innovation and promotes the sustainable development of green manufacturing.
- In August 2019, the China Ministry of Industry and Information Technology awarded Lenovo’s Chengdu and the Hefei (JV) sites with the ‘National Green Factory’ award for successfully applying a green supply chain system. The award is based on the successful application of five criteria: Green Production, Supplier Management, Green Logistics, Green Recycling and Green Information Disclosure. Also, a total of 75 models of desktop and notebook products were recognized with ‘Green Design Product’ awards. The Ministry praised Lenovo for successfully achieving the ‘Grand Slam of China Green Manufacturing’.
- The Lenovo Chengdu, China, plant received the ‘2019 Work Safety Standardization 2nd Level Enterprise’ recognition from Sichuan Province Government.
- The Lenovo Huiyang, China, plant received the ‘2019 Work Safety Standardization’ recognition from Huizhou City Government.
- Lenovo was awarded the “2019 Influence Award on Climate Action” from CDP China for performing in the top rank of the 1,027 Chinese companies responding to CDP. CDP collects information on climate risks and low carbon opportunities from the worldwide companies to compile a global disclosure system that enables companies to measure and manage their environmental impacts.