FY 2019/20 Objectives and Targets
|Minimize packaging material consumption while driving the use of environmentally sustainable materials.||Support bulk packaging for DCG products and/or options.|
|Achieve 5% reduction in weight or volume for at least one product.|
|Increase more eco-friendly content of packaging.||Move packaging corrugated box material recycled content to more than 50% in MTY MX.|
|Introducing HRC (high recycled content) PE 1.7 PCF material to more products and options WW.|
|Meet Bronze level packaging recycled content requirements of NSF/ANSI 426 for ThinkSystem SR630.|
|Increase use of 100% PCC cushion by 10% based on shipping volumes relative to previous year.|
|Packaging box material recycled content must be at least 60% or greater for all new phone products released in FY20/21.|
|Identify one new Lenovo product for which to implement use of 100% biodegradable/compostable packaging.|
|Drive reduction in product energy use.||New products must show improved energy efficiency relative to the previous generation of the product.1|
|Enable industry best practices to reduce energy waste and improve efficiency on new products where technically and financially feasible.|
|For products with preferred energy standards such as ENERGY STAR® listed in the marketing requirements document (MRD), ensure that all requirements are met prior to product announcement.|
|Drive product emissions reductions from use of sold products.||Reduce scope 3 GHG emissions from use of sold products 25% per comparable product (for notebooks, desktops and servers) by FY 2029/30 from a FY 2018/19 base year.|
|Quantify lifecycle CO2e emissions associated with the use of Lenovo products.||Ensure product carbon footprint is published for all new Lenovo products.2|
|Develop and establish Lenovo internal LCA platform before March 31, 2021.3|
|Perform LCA (life-cycle assessment) for at least one Lenovo selected product by March 31, 2021.4|
Product Materials 1, 5, 6, 7
|All products across all business units shall contain some Post-Consumer Recycled Content (PCC) Plastic.||New DT, AIO, workstation, notebook, tablet, visual and accessory products shall contain a minimum of 2% or more PCC in product.|
|Explore opportunities for PCC usage for MBG products.|
|New server products shall contain minimum of 10% or more PCC in external enclosure.8|
|Implement use of closed loop PCC in DT, AIO, workstation, notebook, tablet, visual, accessory, server and phone products.|
|Sustain technological advances and maintain portfolio relative to low halogen products. Monitor and respond to market requirements in this area.||For products requiring IEEE 1680.1 registration, ensure each plastic part in the product exceeding 25 g shall not contain greater than 1000 ppm chlorine or greater than 1000 ppm bromine at the homogeneous level per the requirements and exceptions allowed in the IEEE 1680.1 standard.|
|Upon customer request, make available external PVC-free cable.|
Site Air Emissions
|Absolute reduction in CO2e emissions from Lenovo operations worldwide.||SAE1 - Reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions 50% by FY 2029/30 from a FY 2018/19 base year.9|
Site Energy Consumption
|Maximize energy efficiency and minimize CO2e emissions associated with the development, manufacture and delivery of Lenovo products.||Achieve 30MW of Lenovo owned or leased renewable energy generation capacity globally by 2020.10|
|Achieve a YTY increase in energy purchased from renewable generation sources globally, relative to the previous FY.11|
|Achieve YTY improved energy intensity12 index at manufacturing sites globally, relative to the previous FY.|
|Achieve YTY improved electricity intensity13 at R&D and office sites globally, relative to the previous FY.|
|Reduce total energy consumption at ISO 50001 certified locations by at least 1.5% in next 3 years, relative to the FY 2019/20 energy baseline.14|
|Minimize environmental impacts associated with solid waste generated from Lenovo operations and products.||Maintain a global non-hazardous waste recycling rate > 90% (+/- 5%).15|
|Minimize environmental impacts associated with water withdrawal and water discharge from Lenovo operations and products.||Total global water withdrawal will be +/- 5% of FY 2019/20.|
|Total global wastewater generation will be +/- 5% of FY 2019/20.|
Supply Chain Aspects
Product End-of-Life Management
|Minimize the environmental impact of Lenovo products at end of life.||For geos requiring 1680.1 and NSF/ANSI 426 product registration, ensure requirements for end-of-life processing are met with required documentation in place.|
|Transition Category 3 supplier audits to approved third party auditors in appropriate geos.|
Supplier Environmental Performance
|Monitor, drive and minimize environmental impact in the Lenovo supply chain.||Require water and waste public goals for at least 85% of Lenovo direct suppliers based on procurement spend.|
|Reduce Scope 3 GHG emissions from purchased goods and services 25% per million US$ procurement spend by FY 2029/30 from a FY 2018/19 base year.|
|Achieve 65% of Lenovo direct suppliers based on procurement spend to be ISO 50001 certified (at least one suppliers' manufacturing location).|
|Achieve 85% of Lenovo direct suppliers based on procurement spend to report to the CDP climate change questionnaire.|
|Drive collaborative environmental efforts in Lenovo’s global logistics.||Strengthen emission measurement & tracking.|
|Deliver Green Leadership through internal & external engagement.|
|Develop technical solutions and expand optimization efforts to more regions.|
|Reduce Scope 3 GHG emissions from upstream transportation and distribution 25% per tonne-km of transported product by FY 2029/30 from a FY 2018/19 base year.|
Product, Location and Supply Chain Aspects
|Preparedness for increased circular material and product flow approach including reuse, reduce, recycle, refurbish, recovery, repair, remanufacture, redistribute and maintain.||Evaluate circular economy concept readiness.|
- An exemption from targets in this area may be requested where the BU can clearly demonstrate achieving the target places the Lenovo product at a large price disadvantage against its competition or is not technically feasible.
- For products for which a PAIA tool exists. If requested by GEO sales or/and customers, provide a tailored PCF evaluation based on the specific product configuration.
- Ready to use for all product categories.
- Notebook and accessories as appropriate.
- Availability of PCC plastics can be determined through consultation with environmental affairs and/or suppliers on the Lenovo Approved PCC Supplier list.
- To drive increased usage of PCC all BUs shall include a requirement for the identification of applications for the use of PCC in MRD and RFI/RFQ. PCC shall be used when technical specifications and cost parity are met.
- PCC percentage is calculated using EPEAT methodology.
- If product not being registered to EPEAT, PM3 is not applicable for server product. If product is being registered to EPEAT, exemptions allowed per EPEAT requirements.
- This goal may be accomplished through energy efficiency, installation of onsite renewable generation, entry into power purchase agreements (PPA) with power providers, and/or the purchase of renewable energy commodities.
- Committed is acceptable.
- This goal may be accomplished through, installation of onsite renewable energy generation, entry into power purchase agreements (PPA) with power providers and /or the purchase of renewable energy credits.
- Energy intensity index is energy consumption in kWh per production volume.
- Electricity intensity is electricity consumption in kWh per employee.
- Applicable to Lenovo’s ISO 50001 certified locations as of March 31, 2020.
- Percent of nonhazardous solid waste disposed of through reuse, recycle or incineration with energy recovery.