Environmentally Responsible Products
Product environmental leadership is a fundamental component of Lenovo’s environmental policy. This policy requires each of our product groups to develop, manufacture, and market products that are energy efficient and that minimize their impact on the environment. Lenovo is an industry leader with respect to energy efficient products, the use of environmentally preferred materials and green product packaging.
Lenovo designs its products to maximize their product lifecycle and offers three year standard warranties and five years of replacement parts availability on many of our top selling commercial products to support this extended lifecycle. Three year warranties are offered as the base warranty on many top selling Think branded products, including all commercial monitors, T series notebooks, M series desktops, and many others. In addition, customers can purchase warranty upgrades of to extend the base warranty by one or two years for many products. Base warranties for Lenovo consumer (Idea) products vary by product type and geography, but typically start at 1-2 years for the base warranty with the option for many products to purchase an extended warranty. For more details on Lenovo’s warranties, please click here.
Lenovo also designs innovative features into our products to help extend the products’ useful life, including Lenovo Longevity Battery Technology which extends notebook battery cycle life through key technologies including:
· Increased usage of Lithium Polymer cells: used in notebooks and tablets with embedded batteries, these cells typically provide longer life cycles than lithium ion cylindrical cells
· Three year batteries: available in some ThinkPad models, these batteries are warranted for three years and are designed to last 2-3 times as long as a standard battery. The longer lifespan is made possible due to carefully selected cells and charge algorithms.
· Dual mode charging algorithms: these technologies adjust charge voltage and current over time to prolong the battery’s lifespan.
· Field updateable battery firmware: customers can download a firmware update utility which allows them to apply firmware fixes to batteries in service, eliminating the need to replace batteries due to firmware problems. This program allows customers to apply fixes quickly and at no cost, even on batteries outside of warranty.
· Optimized battery storage modes: provide optimum storage to reduce battery aging. These features allow the power management application of ThinkPads and IdeaPads to detect if a user is operating on AC power and rarely using the battery. If this is detected, the application discharges the battery to optimal levels to extend the battery lifespan.
Lenovo offers end-of-life recycling and management programs for both business and consumer customers. As a global company, Lenovo offers programs in many countries around the world. Specific offerings are tailed to your specific geographic location and business need. Free product recycling is offered to consumers in some locations. Please visit our recycling program page for additional recycling information.
To learn more about the Lenovo ThinkPad's Design For Environment initiatives, please read Lenovo's white paper on this topic.