Frequently Asked Questions
SharePoint includes the following:
• Windows SharePoint Services (WSS): Offers basic functionality and content services
• Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS): Provides additional features onto the underlying WSS layer and solutions for the end user reacting with the repository or storage location
• Microsoft Search Server: Serves as an Enterprise Search engine for advanced indexing and search capacities
Described by Microsoft as Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and Business Process Management (BPM), SharePoint is furthermore adopted by companies for social networks, Business Intelligence (BI), system and process integration, and workflow automation.
Microsoft features its SharePoint products and technologies that include following:
• SharePoint Online: Provides a Microsoft-hosted, cloud-based service; businesses can subscribe to Office 365 to create a custom shareable site
• SharePoint Foundation: Serves as the primary technology for SharePoint sites
• SharePoint Server: Includes features and capabilities for on-premise deployment and management
• SharePoint Designer: Designs, builds and customizes SharePoint websites, Web pages and workflow solutions; sites can range from a content management system for a small project management team to a dashboard-operated portal for a large enterprise
• SharePoint Workspace: Disconnects content from the network for offline collaboration; changes will sync back to the SharePoint site
• SkyDrive Pro folder sync: Synchronizes offline versions of a SharePoint site to a desktop folder
Teams will start SharePoint by signing into Office 365 and accessing the SharePoint entry points. Coworkers can tune into conversations and see updated activities by accessing the Newsfeed.
SkyDrive Pro is a coworker’s personal document library that can be shared with team members and accessed from a mobile device. By accessing Sites, coworkers can locate, access, follow and create sites. Coworkers can go to settings for additional actions and site customization.
Microsoft SharePoint applications are not restricted to work laptops . Employees can equip Internet-connected tablets and smartphones with SharePoint sites, especially since Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is positioned to be a permanent, effective trend for enterprises and employees. BYOD employees rely on their personal smartphones and tablets for working and communicating in and out of the office 24/7. A SharePoint-equipped notebook, tablet or smartphone will maximize an employee’s productivity, efficiency and ability to stay updated with team members. You can easily configure SharePoint features for mobile viewing and optimized mobile working experiences.
Make sure to evaluate your laptop or tablet and check for any necessary upgrades to support SharePoint technologies and application integration.
Prior to a SharePoint integration, address IT support and training and ensure you have the backup to mitigate risks and restore functionality if system failure occurs. Even a minor bug can throw a wrench into finalizing a proposal or editing a sales pitch presentation. Outsourcing SharePoint hosting for system administration, reconfigurations or troubleshooting is one solution for enterprises. For independent training, use the resources and tutorials on the Microsoft website as guidance.
Microsoft’s SharePoint online TechCenter at TechNet.Microsoft.com provides IT pro resources for deploying SharePoint technologies on premise and learning about SharePoint services, including installations, upgrades and migrations. The Microsoft Dev Center at MSDN.Microsoft.com provides SharePoint training modules, downloads and developer documentation that includes how-to’s, overviews and application programming interface (API) references.
Microsoft SharePoint developer training, exams and certifications are also available. IT professionals can schedule a training course by selecting SharePoint under Microsoft.com’s Learning and Training. SharePoint 2013 training courses are available to download under Office.Microsoft.com’s Support. Video-based tutorials can show you how to customize a public website, post to the newsfeed and perform tasks in the document library.