Lenovo Launches Turbo-Charged, Multi-Touch Smartphones in India
India, November 5, 2012: Lenovo the number one PC maker in India for 2 straight quarters (Source: IDC Q1 and Q2 CY2012) today announced its foray into the smartphone market in India. This move strongly stems from Lenovo’s 4 screen strategy in the PC + era, of which smartphones is a key component. The four screens comprise of PCs, tablets, smartphones and smart TVs. While PCs are central to the digital lives of millions, the epicenter of communication and businesses is shifting towards wireless devices like smartphones, tablets and netbooks. Lenovo is entering the Indian market for smartphones after having built a strong and successful mobile phone business as the number two player with 11.2% (Q2 CY2012) market share in China. With this launch, a full range of Android based Lenovo smartphones will be available in the market, starting from the fully featured and affordable Lenovo A60+ to the premium quad-core Lenovo K860.
“Having witnessed success in the PC space where we are currently No. 1 in India, our entry into the smartphones category is a strategic move that reinforces our commitment to lead technology and innovation across the 4 screens. The number of consumers adopting smarter, wireless technology in the country is on the rise and we anticipate a huge increase in smartphone users. Lenovo smartphones offer a compelling value proposition for the Indian consumer and we are confident that our audiences will strongly consider our product portfolio,” said Ashok Nair, Director - Sales (South), Lenovo India.
To cater to a wide spectrum of consumers, Lenovo is offering 5 android based smartphones across the 4 segments viz. Geek, Stylish, Professional and Affordable, at various price points. The USP of the fully featured Lenovo’s smartphones is long battery life and dual sim capability. Four of the Lenovo smartphones are based on the Android version 4 while the A60+ smartphone is based on the Android version 2.3.
Details on Lenovo smartphones:
- K860- a premium 1.4 GHz quad-core smartphone featuring a 720x1280 pixel, 5 inch IPS display for accurate colour reproduction and wide 178 degree viewing angles. This ergonomically designed product comes with an 8 megapixel camera, built in special effects, editing options and 8GB on board memory to store high resolution pictures. Price: INR 28499.
- S880- experience a 5 inch display at a lower than expected cost. With its large screen, slim 9.9mm design, long battery life and dual SIM capability, the S880 lets you enjoy multimedia content and stay connected with family, friends and work. Price: INR 18999.
- S560- studio quality music phone featuring Dolby Digital Plus technology to make music sound better than ever. The S560 also packs a dual-core processor and a 4 inch IPS screen to watch videos or view pictures taken with its 5 megapixel camera. Price: INR 14499.
- P700i is a dual SIM, 4 inch business phone featuring Lenovo Smart Energy technology that enhances battery life. The P700i delivers talk time of up to 28 hours and up to 13 days on standby, optimising performance at this price point. With a 1 GHz dual-core processor and 4 inch IPS display, the P700i delivers for your business and multimedia needs. Price: INR 12499.
- A60+ offers industry leading features within its price point. Packing a 1Ghz processor, Android 2.3 operating system and a 3.5 inch screen, the A60+ is a fully featured smartphone at a very competitive price. Price: INR 6499.
The phones are available at all leading Large Format Retail (LFR), Multi-brand Outlets (MBO) and Lenovo Exclusive stores in Gujarat, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a $US30 billion personal technology company and the world’s second largest PC company, serving customers in more than 160 countries. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the Company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones. Lenovo has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information, see www.lenovo.com.