– February 27, 2008 – Lenovo today unveiled the ThinkPad X300 notebook, the thinnest and lightest full-featured notebook PC in its class
Codenamed "Kodachi" after the sleek and compact Japanese samurai sword of the same name, Lenovo designed the ThinkPad X300 notebook for the most demanding of road-warriors. The notebook measures just under 19mm at its thinnest point, the same height as an Australian five-cent coin, and has a starting weight of 1.3 kilograms.
"The ThinkPad X300 notebook marks a major milestone for the Think family and for the entire PC industry," said Lindsay Tobin, Business Development Manager, Notebook for Lenovo Australia and New Zealand. "We've been pioneering notebook design for more than 20 years, raising the bar on innovation, focusing on the core areas of the ThinkPad brand – quality, reliability and functionality. Adding the ThinkPad X300 notebook to our ultraportable lineup gives those who want the very best in portability and mobility a notebook without compromises."
Designed for Maximum Mobility & Performance
With its compact, ultraportable design, the ThinkPad X300 notebook also packs a powerful punch, offering a full suite of innovative features to meet users’ mobile computing needs:
Enhanced Performance and Data Protection
As one of the first notebooks to come equipped with a solid state drive (SSD), the ThinkPad X300 notebook's 1.8-inch 64 GB SSD provides more than twice the performance of the 2.5-inch hard drives used in earlier ThinkPad models
. With no moving parts, the technology offers more than four times greater shock resistance as well as greater energy efficiency, significantly lighter weight and twice as fast boot time for the Windows Vista operating system
Clearer, Crisper Viewing Experience
The notebook's 13.3-inch LED backlight WXGA+ display provides brighter and 75% more energy-efficient performance than traditional LCD displays.
Expanded, Integrated Multimedia
The ThinkPad X300 notebook offers an optional integrated 7mm slim DVD/multiburner for easy, flexible, on-the-go multimedia capabilities.
Ultimate Wireless Connectivity
Users have a variety of connectivity options at their fingertips including models enabled for WWAN
and GB Ethernet.
The ThinkPad X300 upper case protects the valuable display through construction with advanced carbon and glass-fibre reinforced plastic, three times stronger than magnesium while being 60% lighter. These same materials are also used in building advanced aeroplanes such as the Airbus A380 and formula one racecars to help reinforce structure without additional weight. The notebook’s lower case is built with magnesium and features an internal roll cage that reduces stress on the notebook by 15%.
Ultra-Long Battery Life
Select models offer up to 10 hours of battery life
for all day computing. Additionally, Lenovo's Battery Stretch application gives users even more control over their notebook’s energy use, allowing them to further extend battery life.
Equipped with an integrated fingerprint reader, I/O port disablement and 32-byte password protection, the notebook offers a layered security approach to help protect data and unauthorised access.
Designed for the Environment
Lenovo designed the ThinkPad X300 notebook with the environment in mind. Rated Gold by the Electronic Products Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT), it stands recognised among the most environmentally-responsible PCs in the industry. The notebook extends Lenovo's portfolio of PCs meeting the EPA's Energy Star 4.0 specifications for energy efficiency. The notebook also includes additional energy-efficient technologies such as LED backlighting, a solid state drive and low-volt processor technology. LED backlit displays are rated at three times the lifespan of traditional LCD displays, helping to extend PC life.
The new ThinkPad X300 notebook boasts 25% greater energy efficiency over previous Lenovo X Series ThinkPad notebooks. Lenovo also used arsenic-free LCD glass and mercury-free displays and reduced levels of other environmentally-sensitive materials and packaging that is 90% recyclable.
The ThinkPad X300 notebook also comes with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processor technology, up to 4 GB memory and Lenovo’s ThinkVantage Technologies, unique hardware-software applications designed to improve productivity and reduce the total cost of PC ownership.
Pricing and Availability
The ThinkPad X300 notebook starts at approximately AUD $3,999.00 (inc GST) and is available immediately through Lenovo Business Partners and
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is dedicated to building the world’s best engineered personal computers. Lenovo’s business model is built on innovation, operational efficiency and customer satisfaction as well as a focus on investment in emerging markets. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services worldwide. Lenovo has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see
Mary-Ann Porch Account ExecutiveText 100 Public Relations for LenovoT: 02 9956 5733M: 0423 409 647E:
Heather Jones Communications DirectorLenovo Australia and New Zealand T: 02 8003 8336M: 0400 394 669E:
1. Compared to major vendors offering 13-inch widescreen notebook PCs with built-in optical drives: Sony, Dell, Apple, Asus and Fujitsu Siemens.
2. Lenovo tests performed compared 1.8-inch 64 GB SATA SSD Samsung RBX to 2.5-inch RPM SATA HD used in Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks.
3. WWAN Service Providers: Requires separate agreement with select third party service provider, and is subject to credit approval and applicable service agreement/terms, rate plan and coverage maps of the provider. Service is available in select metropolitan markets, not available in all areas. Service provider, not Lenovo, is solely responsible for service. Lenovo customers may be contacted after purchase to activate service. Special credit and tenure restrictions and additional charges may apply to international roaming. A network connection, third-party software, additional hardware, and/or subscription to a third-party service may be required for certain solutions/applications. Additional restrictions apply. Offer subject to change.
4. 11n Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapters: are based on the Draft Release Version 1.0 of the IEEE 802.11n specification, which has not been finalized.
5. Battery life (and recharge times) will vary based on many factors, including use of Battery Stretch and other system settings and usage. A description of the environment under which the test was performed is available upon request. See
6. Prices do not include tax or shipping and are subject to change without notice. Reseller prices may vary. Price does not include all advertised features. All offers subject to availability. Lenovo reserves the right to alter product offerings and specifications at any time without notice.